Monday, 11 May 2009

Uncle Eddie and my pink feet

You will never guess what happened yesterday.

First of all Uncle Eddie came round to see us. He was a bit miserable. He didn't even give me a proper bounce up and down like usual, which was good because it usually makes me sick.

He started telling Mummy and Daddy about a conversation he had with a girl the night before. It was SO boring. I fell asleep even though I wasn't even tired and when I woke up he was still talking.

At the end of the story Mummy said "Come on Ed, its a shame but you need to start looking forward". Daddy said "Let's get your mind onto something else". And Mummy said "Why don't you come with us to make some Daisy mugs?".

I obviously perked up at the last bit, because I've noticed in the last week or two that not everything seems to revolve around me any more. This sounded fun. Uncle Eddie said something like "Well I guess I've got a lot of time to fill", and I have to say that for someone who usually spreads fun and joy wherever he goes, the thought of a Daisy Mug seemed to excite him in the same way that Mummy reacts when its time to change my nappy.

Daisy Mugging started by getting us all in the car. This is always a lot of work as I have to be cleaned, changed and put in the funny seat and then something silly happens, like I do a little bit more Pooh, and we have to start all over again.

Anyway, this time it was more fun than usual, becaue I got to sit next to Uncle Eddie rather than being all alone in my part of the car while Mummy and Daddy talk in the front. It was fine when all they talked about was me, but, as I said, they also discuss things like banks and jobs and dinner these days.

When Uncle Eddie wasn't saying things like "I really miss her" and "Sitting with Daisy is the closest I'm going to get to having a baby", we actually had some fun. I watched him scratching his nose and tried to scratch mine. This was a disaster, as I really haven't yet got hold of moving my hand where I want it to go, and I bumped it into my leg. He didn't really notice, but started to blow air into my face, and that was quite fun.

The Daisy Mug place was a big room with lots of people in it. Brilliantly, I was the smallest person there, and so I got lots of attention from all the Mums who said I was gorgeous and delightful. They seemed to ignore their own children, which worried me a bit. When I'm bigger, Mummy and Daddy might ignore me too.

And then the weird bit started. Daisy Mugging meant taking off most of my clothes and painting my feet. I cried. What did they expect? Me to sit there looking happy while my little pink feet started to look like one of the toys hanging off the side of my basket? After a while I stopped crying because it actually felt quite nice. Then they got some mugs and pressed my foot against them to make a big mark. "Wow, that really is amazing!" said Mummy.

"Mum will love one of these" said Daddy. That seemed to stop the excitement for a moment. And then Eddie said "Jane would have loved one of these" and looked all miserable. Mummy sounded a bit annoyed and said "For goodness sakes Eddie - you only met her three weeks ago". And then everyone stared really hard at my shiny feet.

Amazingly, that was that. I had some milk in the Mugging room while Daddy and Eddie put more pink things on the mugs. They then gave them to a lady and we left to go home.

So, in short, we spent a day driving for ages to somewhere to paint my feet bright pink and make a mess on some mugs. I'm sure we could have done that in the kitchen. The good news is that Eddie was much happier by the end of it. When we got home he gave me a big hug and ran round the room with me. I tried really hard not to, but after a little while I was sick down his trousers.

"Poor Old Eddie" said Mummy, "It's just not your day is it?"

Not his day? They talked about him all evening after he'd gone home. I gurgled a bit but no one noticed. So I cried loudly and Daddy came and picked me up for a cuddle. I can see that I'm going to have to start working harder for attention from now on.

2 comments:

  1. I found this blog the other day by clicking through from another and I'm so glad I did. This is so delightful.

    I've got five-month old twin girls and I feel rather guilty now that I haven't yet let them have a crack at the computer, considering all the time I spend writing about them.

    This is just such a lovely, warm, and cozy little spot on the internet to spend some time with. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete