Wednesday, 27 May 2009

My first smile

Well I haven't wanted to go on about it, particularly because I'm only eight weeks old, but I was beginning to worry.

It started with a few jokes.

Like Daddy saying "Daisy's not what you'd call a smiler is she?".

Or Uncle Eddie saying to me "Maybe you just don't think there's very much to smile about".

More recently it had become a little more serious. Mummy would plead with me to give her just one little smile. "Just to show you can."

Daddy tends to be a bit relaxed about these things, but I even heard him tell Mummy that "all the guys at work with kids had a smile out of them within seven weeks".

The thing was, I knew what a smile was because I've seen lots of them. Especially Mummy who smiles at me all day long.

I've wanted to do one for ages, but every time I tried it would just turn into a splutter, or a funny noise, or even a kissing shape. And as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get those corners of my mouth to turn upwards.

And then, about a week ago, I did one. But no one saw it. I just know it was a good one because my cheeks felt all funny and I just felt happy. But I was so desparate to let everyone know that I cried. And it turned out that it was four o'clock in the morning and Mummy had fed me at three. Which didn't make anyone very happy.

As you know, the evenings have been really rotten the last few days, so there hasn't been much of a chance to smile with Daddy around.

But last night it just happened. I'd been feeling funny again, and had had my cry. Daddy had run in and out of the room with me singing something odd. And like usual, I calmed down for my night time feed. For some reason Mummy and Daddy took me to my moses basket together. And I suddenly felt really comfortable and all the pain had gone away. I looked at them both without even trying to do anything, and then I felt my face creasing up and my eyes getting smaller and it must have been a brilliant smile because Mummy hugged Daddy.

He said "I told you it was just a matter of time".

She said "I love our little girl".

I felt so happy and closed my eyes. But I couldn't get to sleep. I was listening to them whispering about me. And then Mummy called Sue to tell her all about it. And Daddy called Grandma Betty.

When he'd put down the phone Mummy asked him what she had said.

"Better late than never. You took ten weeks."

And they both laughed. I slept really well after that.

2 comments:

  1. Remember to practice lots, because there are lots of things out there to smile at and believe me, the more you smile, the more people will tell you how beautiful and clever you are. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abbybabs! Mummy says that's the best advice I've ever been given. xx

    ReplyDelete